If you’re designing or decorating a bedroom from scratch, then you’ll probably need some help, especially if it’s your first time! Decorating a bedroom is no easy task, and there’s a lot more to consider than you would in a room used less often in your home. You want to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom that is conducive to a peaceful sleep.
Here is a basic list of things you need to consider when designing and decorating your bedroom. This post will give you a good overview of the bedroom essentials to consider.
1. Choose Your Ideal Bedroom Color
The wall color of your bedroom can change its look completely. This bedroom decor decision is often overlooked but I can’t stress its importance enough! Most people will opt for a light or pale color to paint their bedroom walls. Light blue is a great choice because it helps induce sleep.
If you’re feeling daring, you can paint your bedroom a dark or bold color like red or royal blue, but know that you must have a lot of natural light entering your room for this to work. Otherwise, it could weigh your bedroom down in a depressing way.
Whites and blues are generally safe choices for bedroom walls. Plus, they give you much more flexibility in terms of playing with the decor!
2. Bedroom Lighting Options
Like color, light is another super important consideration for your bedroom.
You’ll want to make sure your bedroom is properly illuminated when it’s dark out and to do that the best option is a centrally placed ceiling light. You can also add some table lamps on a nightstand or dresser to create a smaller amount of targeted light when needed.
Unless there’s no other option, you never want to place your bed in front of a window, partially blocking the light. Beds should be placed opposite or adjacent to any windows.
To recap, bedroom light considerations include:
3. Choose a Comfortable Bed, Mattress, and Linens
The bed may be the first thing you think of when designing a bedroom, but trust me when I say you should only start looking for beds after you’ve considered the wall color and light situation of your bedroom!
The bed must work in conjunction with the wall color and natural lighting of your room. Once you have a general sense of the bedroom theme you’d like to decorate around, you can start looking at beds that fit your vision. Be sure to read our guide on how to choose the right bed for you.
The bed necessities you’ll need to purchase are:
- Mattress: To get a good night’s sleep, you need a quality mattress from one of the best mattress brands around.
- Box spring: This is what holds your mattress up so it’s easy to get in and out of bed.
- Bed Frame: This optional piece can also hold your mattress. It’s great for those on a budget. It attaches to a headboard.
- Bed: The bed is what will hold your mattress and box spring in place.
- Bedding: You’ll need sheets, pillowcases, a comforter, and a duvet cover at a minimum!
- Pillows: For head support while sleeping, a pillow is a must-have!
Don’t rush these decisions. A bed is typically an investment piece that you want to last you a long time. From the bed to the mattress, do your research ahead of time, and don’t make impulse purchases. The last thing you want is to risk a good night’s sleep!
4. Create Plenty of Storage
As you know, bedrooms aren’t only for sleeping! You’ll also need to consider what kind of storage will be necessary for keeping your clothing and personal items organized. At a minimum, you should purchase 1 dresser and a nightstand or small side table. If you have the space, you should consider investing in a larger armoire to hold extra linens and more.
5. Decorating Your Bedroom
Now, the fun part! Decorating your bedroom to reflect your personal style and tastes should come easy to you. You can opt for a certain decor theme or just stick to a group of colors you really like when you decorate your bedroom.
Here are a few bedroom decorative accents you’ll need to consider:
- Rug: An area rug can make your bedroom feel cozy as well as absorb sound
- Art: Art is often placed above the bed
- Mirror: Place a large mirror on your dresser top
- Candles: Candles help create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere
- Books: If you like to read, then stack your nightstand with plenty of books!
6. Add Additional Bedroom Seating
Whether a chair in the corner or a bench at the end of your bed, it’s always practical to have at least one place to sit down in your bedroom. If you’re like me, that chair will turn into a place for clothes to hang, but in any case, it could also help with putting shoes on and off from your closet!
7. Make Your Closet Practical
Last but not least, you’ll need to plan for how to use the closet in your bedroom.
At a minimum, you’ll want to purchase several hangers to store clothing. I love thin velvet hangers because they prevent my clothes from slipping off!
There you have it! I hope this post helped you figure out how to decorate your bedroom for the first time!