Farmhouse coffee tables are an essential element of any family room – the unsung hero of the living room! When it comes to farmhouse living rooms, the importance of selecting the perfect coffee table cannot be overstated. It serves as the anchor for many a family gathering, casual evening with friends, or simply a quiet night in with a good book. In the heart of farmhouse decor, coffee tables effortlessly combine function with an aesthetic appeal that evokes a sense of comfort, warmth, and timeless charm.
In today’s blog post, we’re diving deep into the best farmhouse coffee tables, exploring the best options available to turn your living space into a rustic haven. Whether you favor reclaimed wood, distressed finishes, or innovative designs that playfully marry the old with the new, I’ve curated a selection that resonates with the simplicity and sincerity that farmhouse decor embodies.
With styles ranging from traditional to modern farmhouses, I’ve examined both aesthetics and functionality to help you find that perfect piece. Let’s discover how the right coffee table can become more than just a piece of furniture, but a statement, a story, and an essential part of your living room’s soul.
Best Farmhouse Coffee Tables
What’s great about the Farmhouse decorating style is that it combines form and function beautifully. Built to accommodate the needs of large families, Farmhouse coffee tables give us that country rustic charm that we want in our homes.
The best coffee tables are made of sturdy materials like wood and iron. Check out our affordable Farmhouse coffee table selection below!
Types of Farmhouse Coffee Tables
Farmhouse coffee tables can be found in different styles and designs, each reflecting the rustic and cozy charm that defines farmhouse décor. Here’s an exploration of the various types:
- Reclaimed Wood Tables: These coffee tables are crafted from salvaged wood, often bearing natural imperfections and unique textures. Their weathered appearance adds character and authenticity, making them a favorite in farmhouse settings.
- Distressed Finish Tables: Featuring intentionally worn-out finishes, these tables look like they’ve been passed down through generations. Paint can be chipped or sanded to achieve this look, providing a vintage feel that’s central to the farmhouse style.
- Industrial Farmhouse Tables: Combining wood with metal elements, industrial farmhouse tables blend rustic charm with modernity. The metal accents add an edge to the design, creating a chic and urban look that still maintains warmth.
- Trestle Coffee Tables: With a design that includes horizontal supports and often diagonal braces, trestle tables echo traditional farmhouse architecture. This sturdy design is not only functional but visually appealing, making it a staple in many homes.
- Storage Coffee Tables: Practicality meets aesthetics in these designs, which incorporate drawers, shelves, or hidden compartments. These features offer a clever solution to declutter your living room while still aligning with the laid-back farmhouse vibe.
- Round Farmhouse Tables: Moving away from the conventional rectangular shape, round farmhouse coffee tables have a softer look. They promote a more communal feel and often feature pedestal bases, carving out a niche in both classic and contemporary settings.
- Painted Coffee Tables: Whether it’s a whitewashed finish or a more daring color, painted coffee tables allow for personalization. By selecting hues that resonate with your existing decor, you can create a harmonious blend or a striking contrast, as desired.
- Mixed Material Tables: Incorporating different materials like glass, stone, or metal alongside traditional wood creates an interesting and dynamic visual appeal. These tables make a statement and add a level of sophistication to the traditional farmhouse look.
- Barn Door Coffee Tables: Embodying a true farmstead essence, barn door style coffee tables feature design elements similar to actual barn doors. The sliding hardware and wooden planks add a rustic flair that’s quintessentially farmhouse.
- Antique Coffee Tables: These are often one-of-a-kind pieces sourced from antique stores or flea markets. Their history and unique design elements add depth and soul to a room, making them cherished pieces in a farmhouse-inspired living space.
Selecting the right type depends on both your aesthetic preferences and functional needs. By considering aspects like size, shape, material, and additional features, you can find the perfect farmhouse coffee table that not only complements your décor but also enriches your daily living experience.
Whether you want something that harkens back to a simpler time or a piece that pushes the boundaries of design, farmhouse coffee tables offer a rich landscape to explore.
I just love Sarah’s beautiful coffee table with a natural wood top and turned-white legs. It’s so farmhouse chic!
Purpose of a Coffee Table
The coffee table is a central piece of furniture in the living room. It often is a place where we can display a bit of our personality or show off our hobbies. It’s also a spot where we literally put our coffee in the morning, leave the TV remote control, and host the occasional casual dinner. A table with so many purposes needs to be selected properly.
How to Decorate a Farmhouse Coffee Table
Decorating a farmhouse coffee table is an art that marries function, aesthetics, and the simple beauty of everyday life. Here’s how you can master the rustic elegance that farmhouse coffee tables are known for:
1. Start with a Neutral Base
Farmhouse décor often revolves around neutral colors like creams, whites, and soft shades of brown and grey. A neutral-colored table runner or a wooden tray can serve as the base for your decoration, unifying the various elements.
2. Incorporate Natural Elements
Think of items like fresh or dried flowers, pinecones, or greenery arranged in a rustic vase or a weathered tin can. These bring nature indoors, enhancing the cozy, earthy feel of the farmhouse style.
3. Add Books and Magazines
A stack of well-loved books or current magazines shows how intellectual you are. Choose titles that reflect your interests or those with covers that complement the room’s color scheme.
4. Use Candles and Lanterns
Candles housed in vintage lanterns or rustic candle holders create a warm, welcoming ambiance. Even when not lit, they contribute to the visual richness of the table.
5. Include Personal Touches
Personal mementos like family photos in wooden frames or travel souvenirs can make your coffee table feel intimate and unique. These touches infuse personality into the space, making it truly your own.
6. Play with Heights and Shapes
Varying the height and shape of the objects creates visual intrigue and balance. You can achieve this through tall candlesticks, short bowls, or a medium-height vase. Think of it as creating a mini landscape on your table.
7. Utilize Baskets and Bowls
Baskets or rustic bowls can hold decorative orbs, seasonal fruits, or even remote controls. Their textures add another layer of depth to the table, while their functionality keeps clutter at bay.
8. Seasonal Decorations
Don’t shy away from seasonal touches like autumn leaves, winter pine branches, or spring blossoms. These add freshness and keep your décor in sync with the natural rhythms of the year.
9. Balance Simplicity with Sophistication
The charm of farmhouse décor lies in its understated elegance. Less can indeed be more. Arrange the objects in a way that they breathe, don’t overcrowd the table, and leave room for practical use.
10. Consider Functionality
Remember, coffee tables are not just decorative pieces. They are often a hub for entertaining and relaxation, so leave space for drinks, snacks, or anything else you might need for a comfortable evening in.
Decorating your farmhouse coffee table will be an ongoing process, reflecting the changing seasons, your evolving tastes, or even different moods!
By paying attention to textures, colors, and functionality, and by infusing them with your personal touch, you transform the table from mere furniture into a heartfelt expression of home.
Be sure to pick up some beautiful coffee table books for decorating the top of your new coffee table!