There’s nothing quite as relaxing as a long, indulgent soak in a freestanding bathtub. These elegant tubs have become a popular centerpiece in today’s bathrooms, allowing you to create a spa-like oasis right at home.
Today I’m sharing my picks for the best freestanding tubs on the market right now, along with style tips and design ideas to help you incorporate one seamlessly into your bathroom. From contemporary to classic designs, statement colors to sculptural shapes, you’re sure to find your perfect tub among these must-have models.
I’ll also provide pointers on how to accessorize your bathtub and configure your bathroom layout to maximize its impact. So slip into your robe, grab a glass of wine, and let’s chat about fabulous freestanding tubs! Whether you’re doing a full remodel or just looking to upgrade your current tub, this post has all the inspiration you need to kick back in style.
Here are the best bathtubs from major American retailers. According to customer reviews, the Vanity Art Bordeaux Soaking Tub offered the most satisfaction when considering both the price and comfort of the tub.
How to Style a Freestanding Bathtub
Here are some tips for styling and decorating a freestanding bathtub:
- Play with textures – Layer in natural elements like bamboo mats, linen towels, and wicker baskets around the tub. The contrast of materials creates an organic, spa-like vibe.
- Add plants – Place potted palms, ferns, or orchids around the tub to enhance the zen atmosphere. Plants help bring life and freshness to the space.
- Use candles – Cluster candles in varying heights around the tub, on side tables, or in the windowsills. Candles create a relaxing glow and scent.
- Hang art – Decorate the walls above and around the tub with striking artworks, wall hangings, or botanical prints. This draws attention to the gorgeous tub.
- Incorporate wood – Wooden stools, shelving, mirrors with driftwood frames, and woven accents introduce warmth. Teak bath mats also complement the tub.
- Soft fabrics – Drape the windows with lightweight curtains or place plush towels and robes nearby for spa-worthy luxury.
- Add a tray – A stained wood or marble tray filled with bath salts, oils, and candles beside the tub makes for a lovely vignette.
- Use metallic accents – The shine of gold, rose gold, or bronze on tub fixtures, sconces, or decor lends an elegant touch.
The right accessories and furnishings transform a basic bathroom into a serene oasis with the freestanding tub as the crown jewel. Get creative and enjoy your spa-worthy sanctuary!
What to Look for in a Freestanding Bathtub
Here are some key things to consider when shopping for a freestanding bathtub:
- Size – Measure your bathroom space carefully to ensure the tub will fit. Consider who will be using it and how much room you need.
- Material – Common materials include acrylic, stone, enameled cast iron, and wood. Acrylic is affordable but less durable. Natural materials add luxury.
- Weight – Heavier materials like cast iron or stone are sturdier but difficult to install. Check what your flooring can support.
- Style – Look for a style that fits your bathroom’s aesthetic – classic, modern, vintage, minimalist, etc. Durability and comfort are also factors.
- Faucets & plumbing – Look for tubs that come with or coordinate with faucets and drains. This helps pull the whole look together.
- Added features – Consider any special features you may want like air jets, chromatherapy lighting, or heated surfaces.
- Ease of cleaning – Non-porous materials like acrylic are easiest to clean. Textured surfaces may require more maintenance.
- Warranty – Check warranties on the tub, finish, and fixtures. This protects against defects or leaking.
- Professional installation – Freestanding tubs often require specialised installation for proper support and drainage.
Doing your homework will ensure you get a safe, stylish tub that’s built to last. Take measurements, check warranties, and read reviews before making this major purchase. Happy soaking!