Black walls: it seems like people either love them or hate them. A black wall interior is certainly a bold design choice and not for everyone. Black walls command attention in the most dramatic of ways. They absorb a lot of natural light, so be sure to include adequate artificial lighting in the room. If you don’t want to paint an entire room black, you can certainly test the waters with an accent wall, or keep the ceiling white.
Read below to see 28 awesome examples of beautiful black-walled interior styling, and our best tips for making it work in your home!
1. Pair black walls with deep green hues in the furniture
2. Paint a brick wall black for texture
3. Add lots of house plants to give life to the room
4. Add eclectic and colorful decor to give the room more of a fun feeling
5. Use the black wall as a canvas for a floral wall mural
6. Make sure the space is open, preferably with tall ceilings
7. If the space is smaller, pair the walls with a cream furniture and decor palette
8. Add oversized art to make the wall less bold
9. Cheetah print goes great with black walls
10. Add gold shelving
11. Decorate with gold accents
12. Balance out the black with a blush pink rug and pillows
13. Play with chandeliers for light and moulding designs for texture
14. A mustard yellow sofa stands out against black
15. Add neutral and white artwork to balance the darkness
16. Include the fireplace when painting the wall black
17. Go with a white ceiling!
18. Try a black accent wall next to a white wall
19. Use striped tiling on the floor
20. Bring in some solid turquoise furniture
21. Coordinate black walls with a chic black headboard
22. Paint the walls black in a room with large windows and lots of light
23. Add a comfy brown leather chair
24. Use the black wall as a chalkboard
25. Add depth with empty black frames
26. Incorporate dark maroon furniture and art into the space
27. Add a pink velvet sofa
28. Brighten and expand the space with mirrors
As you can see, black walls can work in a variety of spaces, from living rooms, to bathrooms to bedrooms and everywhere in between. Have you incorporated a black wall into your home? What worked and what didn’t?