Terrazzo home decor has gained popularity in recent years due to its unique and stylish aesthetic. This versatile material originated in Italy and is known for its durability and low maintenance. With its speckled appearance and wide range of colors, terrazzo can add Italian charm to any room.
Whether you’re looking to incorporate terrazzo into your living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, or even outdoor spaces, there are plenty of creative ideas to explore. Additionally, if you’re feeling crafty, there are numerous DIY projects that allow you to create your own terrazzo-inspired home decor. And if you prefer to shop for ready-made items, there are plenty of places where you can find a variety of terrazzo home decor pieces to suit your style.
Terrazzo Home Decor Items
Here are some examples of small terrazzo home decor accents and accessories:
- Terrazzo coasters – Stylish drink coasters made from terrazzo material in different colors and patterns. Great for protecting tabletops.
- Terrazzo trinket dishes – Small dishes in terrazzo styles that can be used to hold keys, jewelry, or other small items. Pretty accent pieces.
- Terrazzo votive holders – Terrazzo holders for small votive candles or tealights. The colors and materials make these stand out.
- Terrazzo plant pots – Mini planters made of terrazzo to hold small houseplants like succulents or cacti. Coordinate with your decor.
- Terrazzo drawer pulls – Unique terrazzo cabinet hardware to replace your existing kitchen or bathroom drawer pulls for visual impact.
- Terrazzo tissue box holders – Instead of plain tissue boxes, use a terrazzo holder to add some colorful style.
- Terrazzo bookends – Sturdy bookends constructed from terrazzo to stylishly keep books upright on shelves.
- Terrazzo jewelry dishes – Shallow dishes in mosaic terrazzo can neatly hold necklaces, earrings, rings or other jewelry pieces.
- Terrazzo candles – Artisan poured candles set in small terrazzo containers. The colors shine when lit.
Let me know if you need any specific ideas on shapes, sizes or styles for small terrazzo accents or accessories in a certain room!
What is Terrazzo? History and Characteristics
Terrazzo is a composite material that dates back to ancient times, with its origins in ancient Turkey and later widely popularized in Italy during the Renaissance. Venetian Italians used the material on the floors of their outdoor patios, hence the name terrazzo, which means “terrace” in Italian.
Terrazzo tile is made by combining chips of various materials, such as marble, quartz, or glass, with a binder like cement or epoxy. This unique combination gives terrazzo its distinctive speckled appearance and allows for endless design possibilities.
In addition to its aesthetic appeal, terrazzo is also highly durable and resistant to stains, making it a practical choice for home decorating – whether part of your interior design or for smaller home accents.